“It is rightly said that books are one’s best friend. The amount of knowledge they provide is simply amazing. Books transport you to a different world, to a different era altogether. They have their own charm, which is known only to book lovers. They offer such wide variety to the readers that they can satisfy anybody’s interest. It is said that there is a book for everyone.”
However, the task of choosing a good one solely depends upon the reader. If you want to read a book, which interests you will find it on your own. Once you find the book for yourself, it will enrich your knowledge to the best of its capability. If you want to know how to pick a good book, read the article below.
Choosing a Good Book:
- The first thing to do is to look at the cover. Read the title as well as the cover illustration.
- If the book looks interesting from the outside, read the first page and use the five finger rule, which states that if there are five or more words on the page that you don’t understand, then the book is probably not for you.
- If you like a particular author read another book written by him.
- You can even go for a book from a series you enjoy reading.
- Choose a book that is based on a theme, topic or subject you are interested in.
- You can even ask someone to recommend a good book to you. It can be anybody like your older sibling, your mom, your dad, your best friend, even your English teacher. It’s better to ask someone, who knows you personally, specially your interests.
- Read book reviews in newspapers and magazines. This will give you a fair idea about the new books in the store as well as how popular they are. Often the subject of the book is also given, which helps you great deal in choosing the book.
- Join a book club can also help as you will get to know about new books, which you might never have had the motivation to read otherwise.
- If a library or bookstore near you has a computer, it will be easy for you to find books of your interest.
- You can even ask the librarian or book seller to help you out to find the specific book you are looking for. He/she will be happy to help you.
- Once you have found your kind of book, read a few chapters just to make sure you don’t get bored right away. You can also read random pages to get an idea.
- Find a place to sit, or stand if you must, and read the first chapter of each book. Of course, if you have many books, this can be time consuming.